Friday, February 6, 2009

Getting Crafty

Someone had commented that the messenger bags I made for Christmas would make good diaper bags. Thursday we had a baby shower for two girls in my Bunco Group (they're due the same day!). I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try my hand at making diaper bags. Of course, when I went to make the bag Wednesday night I couldn't find the pattern from the messenger bags anywhere! So I had to improvise. I made the bag a little bigger than I meant to, but fortunately Kristin, the mommy-to-be, has a toddler already and needs space!


Kristin LOVES animal print, so I was excited to find the pink zebra print at Joanne Fabrics!

I made the front flap too long, so one of the ladies I work with suggested sewing it up to create a pocket on the front.

Because I made the bag so big, I didn't have enough material for all the pockets, but the fabric I used for Rayanna's bag matched well! The bag has two bottle pockets, a long pocket the length of the back, one slightly smaller in front of that pocket, and two smaller pockets in front of that.

Kristin with her bag. The other mommy-to-be is going to pick out some material so I can make one for her too! I use the home decorating fabric at Joanne's because it's pretty sturdy. My Joanne's in Albany has GREAT selection!



3 comments:

Empty Nesters said...

I find some of my best creations are when I have to improvise due to a mistake or ??? Looks great! Cute fabric!

Family of 5 said...

You are so crafty! I love it! you did a great job and I bet she loves it too!
that really makaes me want to learn to sew! Oh the fun things that a person can make!

Anonymous said...

Now I know that what I already got you for your birthday will be put to good use! Can hardly wait until April 19 to show it to you :)